Every week we will post a recipe featuring fresh ingredients that can be harvested right from Common Good City Farm. By Elizabeth Packer
Did you know?
- Kale has a lot of beta-carotene, which is also in carrots! Like carrots, kale improves vision.
- Kale is good for your stomach, liver, and immune system.
- Kale is related to cabbage, and there are several varieties, including curly kale, dinosaur kale and Russian Red kale.
Raw Kale Salad
Kale is great cooked, but it can also be eaten raw. Take the time to massage in the oil, as this helps soften the leaves and makes them taste less bitter.
- Slice kale leaves into ribbons. Discard any tough stem ends. In a large mixing bowl, drizzle kale with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil. With clean hands, massage oil into leaves so that you can feel them soften, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in whatever chopped veggies you have on hand. For fall, try chopped apples or cubes of cooked sweet potato. Season with salt and pepper, and a drizzle of lemon juice or balsamic vinegar.